DEFINITION FOUR SQUARE:
A graphic organizer based on the Frayer Model –>
- Select a key concept, idea or term to define.
- Have students divide a large page, or space on a white board into 4 sections.
- Title the sections as:
- Characteristics (or Symbol)
- This could be done as individuals, pairs, groups depending on class size.
- Have students discuss their definitions in groups or as a whole class.
This exercise is good for visual learners who can separate ideas out into discrete corners. It is also very flexible, as the word could be a topic, concept, or term. It promotes discussion and concise thinking ( limiting the definitions to a small square, etc.) If you choose to use the Symbol modification to the Characteristics square it even challenges your students to think about communicating the term pictorially.